Uber, the world’s most popular taxi service, or everyone’s personal driver as they like to call it, has launched its lower cost version “Uber X” in Cairo.
— Uber_Cairo (@Uber_Cairo) November 20, 2014
We’ve got everything you need to know.
What exactly is Uber?
Uber is a mobile app available in 50+ countries on iPhone, Android and Windows phone that allows you to order one of their pre-registered Uber x cars. In Cairo, Uber drivers will be mostly driving Citroen Elysees, Kia Ceratos and Toyota Corollas.
How it works
- Register your account and set up your credit card
- Tap to choose your pickup location using GPS, even if you’re in the middle of nowhere
- Request your ride and a driver will accept
- You will get all the driver’s information, picture, car plate number, car manufacturer, average driver ratings by other users, as well as driver’s current location and estimated time of arrival
- Track the driver’s location until he gets to your doorstep
- Enter the address of your destination
- After pick up, the driver will see where you are going
- Upon reaching your destination, just step out of the car and your credit card is automatically charged, no cash needed
- If you are sharing a ride, you can split your fair with the friends. Each credit card will be charged equally
- Rate your driver
How much will it cost me?
Base Fare: EGP 5
Per Minute: EGP 0.25
Per Kilometer EGP 1.8
Min Fare: EGP 12
Cancellation Fee: EGP 12
Availability by location
According to the Uber website, the service is not available in all of Cairo just yet.
Update, according to an e-mail blast send out 20th Nov at 11:30 pm by Uber: “While you can certainly request a car, Uber is still in its “Testing Phase”, so there will be limited availability and we will mainly be serving the Zamalek/Mohandesin/Giza areas until our official launch.” Read the full blast here
Get a discount on your first ride!
Use the “HELLOCAIRO” promo code to get EGP 75 off on your first ride!